Mold Allergy Symptoms
Molds come in a variety of forms and mutations. Molds usually grow in an environment between 70-80 degrees, which is the typical temperature range in an average household. Mold can grow in air conditioning ducts, damp wood, refrigerator filters, and anywhere you have a water leak.You can be enjoying a restful night of sleep when you are awakened in the middle of the night. You do notice that you feel congested and your nose starts to run. You run to the bathroom to blow your nose.
This same sequence happens night after night. You begin to suspect that you have an allergy to something in your house. If you experience allergy symptoms such as irritated eyes and stuffed up nose at night then you most likely have a mold allergy. This mold allergy can be frustrating unless treated properly.
Molds come in a variety of forms and mutations. Molds usually grow in an environment between 70-80 degrees, which is the typical temperature range in an average household. Mold can grow in air conditioning ducts, damp wood, refrigerator filters, and anywhere you have a water leak.
By morning your congestion begins to clear. Mold requires the absence of light in order to grow. Mold release its spores into the air during the nighttime dark hours. This may be a reason why you wake up at 3 o’clock in the morning. Your air conditioning unit has kicked in and is releasing mold spores into the air. These mold spores catch you when you are sleeping and your body responds with congestion, sneezing, wheezing, and adrenalin that wakes you up.
What can you do about a mold allergy?
There are many different molds that can grow in your home. It is hard to pinpoint exactly which molds are present because there are often a great number of mutations. You can search you house for any leaks and mold infested areas. These areas can be cleaned up with air filters, mold lights, and with an ozone generator. An ozone generator is the most effective tool at killing mold. Ozone generators produce an ozone gas that seeps into every crevice of your home. It finds virtually all the mold spores and kills them.
A mold allergy can keep you up at nights, but don’t let it. Invest in an air filter, mold light, and ozone generator to get rid mold. You will sleep much better and not have to worry about waking up in the middle of the night to a runny, itchy nose.
Educate Yourself About Toxic Mold
Molds have the potential to cause health problems. Molds are usually not a problem indoors, unless mold spores land on a wet or damp spot and begin growing. Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances.
Mold spores are ever-present in the air. Under ideal conditions, these naturally occurring and very resistant spores can take root in your home or workplace, or in your food. Molds make toxins (mycotoxins) that can change how you feel, how you think, and even how long you live.
Everyone is most likely at risk for toxic mold exposure, regardless of your geographic region, climate, socioeconomic status, race, age, or gender. As with most other medical challenges, awareness is your most powerful weapon.
About 25 percent of Americans are genetically inclined to experiencing serious illness from toxic mold exposure.
Exposure to molds have a variety of health effects depending on a person’s level of sensitivity to molds and their span of time they are exposed and the nature of exposure. Breathing in or handling mold or mold spores may cause health problems such as allergic reactions in vulnerable individuals. Allergic responses include hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash (dermatitis). Allergic reactions to mold are common. They can be immediate or delayed. Molds can also create asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mold. In addition, mold exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both mold-allergic and non-allergic people. Symptoms other than the allergic and irritant types are not commonly reported as a result of inhaling mold.
Because mold toxins are so unique and their effects are so extensive, symptoms of mold toxicity are complicated and varied, making it challenging for medical professionals to arrive at the correct diagnosis.
When disaster strikes, it’s crucial to respond quickly in order to prevent any further damage and complications. Mold infestations, heavy storms, overflows or floods from the broken pipes, all these disasters should be dealt with, in a timely manner. Here’s what may happen in case you do not act fast after a disaster:
Risks of Water and Mold Damage
If the structures and the contents damaged by waters are not quickly dried out, there is a risk of the development of potential health risks. Mold can start growing within one to two days after flooding and it might be responsible for “sick building syndrome”, for the allergic reactions and many other health related problems as well as mold damage to the structure and contents.
Excess water may cause: corrosion to electronic components, rusting of metals, cracking, warping or splitting of furniture, color transfer in fabrics, stains in furniture and damage to upholstery, clothing, drapery, wallpaper, papers and photos.
FAST ACTION is required to remove water from carpets. In case the carpet is wet, it can quickly begin to smell and mold growth can start within 3 days. Our professionals in the field have years of experience in drying carpets.
The home’s security and safety might be compromised. Doors and windows can become weak and stop functioning properly. Wet materials might collapse and the electrical components and installations may become a health hazard when they come in contact with water. There is also a potential danger of slipping and falling.
Professional specialists in restoration can help in mitigating the losses by using latest equipment, techniques and technology in the industry. The moisture is removed before mold can get established. Efficient and fast drying will also prevent irreversible damage to the structure and contents of the home. Fire related problems and safety concerns can also be detected and prevented by restoration specialists.
In case you are not sure about how to act after experiencing fire, water or mold damage in your business or home, contact us. We will send a team of restoration professionals to your location as quickly as possible.
If you have mold in your home and need to have it removed, you will need to consider the mold removal cost of the project. Of course, more important than the cost of having the mold removed, is the health and safety of your family. With that said, it’s always a good idea to know how much something is going to cost. If you are looking at only a small area, for just a few dollars in cleaning supplies, you can probably tackle the mold problem yourself. If you are worried about breathing in spores, you could purchase a respirator, and you will most likely only spend a total of around $120 to $250.
Do you need a professional?
If the area that needs cleaning is large, you will need the help of a mold damage expert. A large area is any area 10 square feet or better, that has mold present or has had water damage. Obviously, if you have someone else do the remediation for you, there will be much higher costs; keep in mind it is difficult for a homeowner to handle large areas properly. A mold remediation specialist will be able to clean areas that are difficult for a homeowner to get to, such as duct work in the walls and attic, and crawlspaces under your home. If mold spores make their way into your cooling and heating systems, they continue to be circulated throughout your home. This can continue making you and your family sick, even after the area where you originally found the mold has been completely cleaned.
There is a great deal of variance in crawlspace remediation cost. Depending on the work that needs to be done, it may cost as low as $500, however, in some cases it could go as high as $4000. When there is involvement with the wall ducts and the ducks in the attic, the cost is generally higher, in the range of $2000-$6000. If you are dealing with a home that has been flooded and has mold throughout it, obviously, there is a great deal more that needs to be done. This will most likely increase remediation costs, which could go up to $10,000 or even $30,000; depending on how large your home is these costs could go even higher.
Don’t forget your insurance when considering mold removal cost
If your home is located in a flood zone, it is a good idea to make sure your policy will cover, at least in part, remediation costs, when considering your insurance. Most people do not have the kind of money that is needed for remediation just sitting around, and most likely, neither do you. After you get your first estimate, you will have a good idea as to the remediation costs, however, you should shop around for the best value; the first company that you contact may or may not be the best company for your needs. Prices vary greatly among companies; it is important that you pay attention to their credentials.
You want someone who is experienced in mold remediation.
When you are looking for someone to remove your mold, you will want people who have been providing this service for a long time and can give you a reasonable estimate of mold removal cost, especially when it comes to black mold. You should make sure that there is some sort of guarantee being offered as there should be. You do not want to find out that later down the line, that the job was done improperly and you now have mold, once again, in your home. You could find that there is nothing they will do unless you are willing to pay more money.