By Dr. Mercola
Did you know an estimated 40 percent of American buildings, including at least 25 percent or more of all homes, are believed to be affected by toxic mold? Some of the mycotoxins produced by molds can be more problematic than pesticides and heavy metals even, in part because their concentration can be far larger, but also because they tend to affect more biological systems than pesticides and heavy metals do.
For example, the mold Stachybotrys produces mycotoxins called trichothecene. This mycotoxin inhibits protein synthesis, and infects every single organ of your body. Fungi also have a tendency to mutate quickly, producing novel species capable of evading the human immune system.
One example of this is cryptococcus, which used to be endemic to the deserts of the southwest United States. Now there is a new mutated form that is highly pathogenic, killing up to 30 percent of those infected. Shoddy construction and water intrusion are among the most common reasons for microbial growth in buildings, but certain home decorating trends can also contribute to the problem.
Is Your Wallpaper Making You Sick?
Researchers are now warning that wallpaper can be a significant source of fungi that contribute to toxic air pollution and sick building syndrome. The study in question discovered three types of fungi living in household wallpaper: Penicillium brevicompactum, Aspergillus versicolor and Stachybotrys chartarum.
These three fungi are also common food contaminants. When these fungi grow in wallpaper (or elsewhere), their mycotoxins can easily spread into the air and dust, thus gaining access to your lungs. As reported by NBC News:
“Mold growing in buildings can make people sick, especially people who are allergic to various fungi. It’s also known that various molds and fungi produce mycotoxins — chemicals that can sicken and even kill people and animals. What’s not been entirely clear is how mold growing in and on walls or elsewhere in buildings might make people sick.
Read more at mercola.com